Idaho Community Health Worker
The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare (IDHW), through the Idaho Statewide Healthcare Innovation Plan (SHIP), is implementing a Community Health Worker (CHW) training program in collaboration with Idaho State University.
CHW student applicants must:
- Be current Idaho residents;
- Agree to support the SHIP initiative (see categories below) and submit data to IDHW on a quarterly basis for one full year after completing the training program;
The following categories support SHIP. Students in all categories are eligible for this opportunity and encouraged to apply:
Category 1: Applicants currently employed by Patient-Centered Medical Homes in SHIP cohorts.
Category 2: Applicants employed by Idaho Primary Care Clinics or Patient-Centered Medical Homes not currently part of SHIP cohorts.
Category 3: Applicants currently employed or volunteering as CHWs in other types of community organizations or settings.
Category 4: Applicants currently enrolled in an Idaho College or University. Please note: academic credit is not available.
Data must be collected and reported quarterly by the CHW to IDHW on the following required measures for one year after course completion. CHWs may also choose to report additional optional measures to support the evaluation of this new program.
1. Total number of patients contacted by the Community Health Worker
2. Total number of unique patients served by the Community Health Worker
3. Total number of outreach or educational events provided by the Community Health Worker
1. Number and percent of patients referred for additional services by the Community Health Worker
2. Number and percent of patients completing referrals by the Community Health Worker
3. Number and percent of patients assessed or screened by the Community Health Worker
4. No show rate (number of appointments kept/number of appointments scheduled in the clinic)